Abbeys and Priories in Connemara, County Galway, Republic of Ireland
Kylemore Abbey and Garden
HISTORIC COUNTY GALWAY
Kylemore Abbey, home of the Irish Benedictine Nuns is situated in the Kylemore Pass in Connemara. The house was originally built as a castle in 1868 by Mitchell Henry as a gift for his wife, Margaret. The design is neo-gothic and the house displays all of the decorative features of the period.
The Benedictine Nuns bought the house in 1920 having fled their convent in Ypres, Belgium during the first world war. They immediately set about re-establishing their international boarding school for girls (they had run a very successful school in Belgium for 300 years) which is still very much alive today.
Kylemore Abbey and Victorian Walled Garden is open to visitors. Visitor facilities include a visitor centre, an exhibition housed in the main reception rooms of the house and a video which takes the visitor through the varied history of the house and the people who have lived here. The main hall and three restored rooms can be visited in the abbey.
Visitors may relax in the restaurant or browse in one of the best craft shops in the West of Ireland. After visiting the Abbey, take a walk to the Mausoleum where the original owners are buried. One can also stroll by the lake to the neo-Gothic Church which has been described as a "cathedral in miniature". The Church which was built by Mitchell Henry in memory of his wife who tragically died at an early age, is considered a building of national importance, has undergone extensive restoration work and was reopened in 1995.
A Shuttle Bus Service will take visitors to the 6-acre Victorian Walled Garden which is truly spectacular to see.
• Historic House/Abbey
• Craft Shop
• Restaurant and Tea House
• Woodland and Lakeshore Walks
• Car Park
• Private Group Tours
In case of alteration, please check prices, opening times and any specific important information before booking or visiting